Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Anthony Lawrence gets intimate


I hope you're not getting tired of my continual harping about the Newcastle Writers Festival (4-6 April), but I have to admit that, as we're inching closer to the date, I'm getting pretty excited.  Not just about my own sessions, which I've been talking about over the past weeks (I'll do one final blast on Kate Forsyth shortly), but also about all the other interesting events taking place over the two days. I'm particularly pleased by how many poetry sessions there are. The Festival is poetry rich, with some of Australia's finest poets leading workshops, talking poetry, and reading their work. One of those poets is Anthony Lawrence, who will be reading love poetry in the intimate setting of The Press Book House (462 Hunter St), a charming bookshop/cafe in the heart of the city. The session runs from 11:15am on Saturday


Lawrence has published 13 poetry books, including, most recently, Signal Flare which was published in 2013 by Puncher & Wattman, and has won a swag of awards for his work, including the Josephine Ulrick Award, the Queensland Premier's Award, the New South Wales Premier's Award, the Newcastle Poetry Prize, the ABR Poetry Prize, and the Gwen Harwood Memorial Award to name just a few.  For a little taste of Lawrence's work, you can listen to him read on the wonderful ABC Radio National show Poetica (which I recommend): http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/poetica/2012-10-20/4259172

To grab tickets to this event, or find out more, drop by http://www.newcastlewritersfestival.org.au/saturday-program/2014/4/5/an-intimate-reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment