Sunday, September 2, 2012

Poetry Monday: Walt Whitman's Song of Myself

As ModPo begins in one week, I thought I'd prepare (and have a little fun too) by reading, outloud, the last (and maybe most well-known) stanza from "Song of Myself" by Walt Whitman. Whitman's work opens the course - we'll be spending the first two weeks on him and Emily Dickinson (so you probably know what to expect next Monday...or do you...?).  As I've suggested in the video, please chime in with your thoughts, your favourite bit of Whitman (not talking about samplers here), or your thoughts about modern poetry in general.  I've studied lots of things over the years, but it's been a long time since I last took a literature course, though there was a time when it was all I took, so I'm quite excited to be going back, as it were, to my roots. I'm hoping that the course will add depth and another dimension to my reviews of modern poetry (especially highly experimental forms, which I struggle with), and of course, I'm fully expecting it to be fun, and just a little indulgent. Yum.   




No comments:

Post a Comment