1. Donate books and reading materials to your local school or community centre
2. Start a reading club (if you've already got one - well done - maybe your club could do #3)
3. Volunteer to teach literacy classes in your community
4. Become a mentor of a non-literate person
5. Send your literacy stories to joinliteracy(at)unesco.org
In any case, as you cuddle up with your books this evening, remember that there are 504 million illiterate people in Asia and the Pacific alone. Even in the US, the functional illiteracy rate is sitting around 20%! Check out this infographic. 42 million adult Americans can't read at all. If that isn't a call to action, I don't know what is. Why not share your own literacy stories in the comments below? Or talk about what literacy means to you. Let's share Literacy Day together.